Design of Electrical Power Systems

COMING SUMMER 2020! This very popular course by Jim Phillips is the ultimate "crash course" for electrical power system design. When it comes to electrical power system design, the National Electrical Code is just the minimum. Electrical design involves much more including an understanding of other standards, equipment, special situations and much more.

Jim often states that electrical design follows the 80/20 rule. 80% of design takes 20% of the effort but 20% of design takes the other 80%. In the course, Jim shows you both the 20% and 80%.

INTRODUCTION

Introduction to Electrical Power System Design, Electrical Safety Considerations, Electrical Codes and Standards, Economic Considerations of Design

TYPES OF SYSTEM DESIGNS

Radial Distribution Systems, Networks, Double Ended Substation, Primary Selective Systems, Loop System

VOLTAGE SELECTION

Selecting the Appropriate Voltage, 120/240V, 208Y/120V, 480Y/277V Systems, Medium Voltage Selection, Delta vs. Wye Configurations, Voltage Drop Calculations

LOAD CALCULATIONS

General Lighting Load Calculations, Appliance Loads, Receptacles Load Calculations, National Electrical Code Article 220 Requirements, VA per Square ft., Continuous vs. Non-Continuous, Demand Factors, Panel Schedules

CONDUCTORS

Conductor Selection, Conduit Sizing, Insulation Type, Correction Factors, Temperature Considerations, Neutral and Ground Conductors

PANELBOARDS

Panelboard Sizing and Ratings, 80 percent vs. 100 percent ratings, Series Rated vs. Fully Rated Panels.

SWITCHBOARDS

Bus Ratings, Breaker and Fuse Selection, Bus Bracing, AIC, Layout, Series Ratings, Bus Structure, 6 Disconnect Rule

LIGHTING DESIGN

Zonal Cavity Lighting Calculations, Lighting Layout

CASE PROBLEM

Small Industrial Switchboard Circuit Design

TRANSFORMERS

Types of Transformers, Dry-Type, Liquid Filled, Cast Coil Designs, Temperation Ratings, Fan Cooling, Insulation Characteristics, Percent Impedance, K Factor, Transformer Protection Based on NEC® Article 450, Inrush Current, In Class Problems, Sizing and Protecting Transformers

MOTOR CIRCUITS

NEC® Article 430 Requirements, Motor Nameplate Full Load Amps vs. NEC Table’s Full Load Amps, Locked Rotor and Overload Protection, Insulation Class / Service Factor, Motor Tables, Sizing of Feeders, Protection, Motor Short Circuit Protection, In Class Problems – Designing Motor Circuits

GROUNDING

Grounding Electrode System Requirements, Equipment Grounding Conductor Selection, Separately Derived Systems, NEC® Article 250, Solidly Ground and Un-Grounded Systems, High Resistance Grounding, Ground, Ground Loops and Power Quality Issues

HAZARDOUS/CLASSIFIED LOCATIONS

Class I, II, and III, Divisions and Groups, Explosion Proof Equipment, Intrinsically Safe Circuits

LIGHTNING PROTECTION

Concept of Lightning Protection, Air Terminals, Conductors, NFPA 780 Requirements

GENERATORS

Emergency Vs. Standby, Selection of Generator and Prime Mover, Gasoline, Gas (LP/Natural), Diesel Driven, Design Considerations, Generator Loads

AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCHES

Size and Ratings of Transfer Switches, 3 Pole vs. 4 Pole, Protection of the ATS

UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLIES

UPS Types and Operation, Heat Loss, Compatibility with Generators

CASE PROBLEM

Designing a Transformer Circuit for an Industrial Facility

Lessons

Instructor

About Jim Phillips

Jim Phillips

Instructor

• Founder: Brainfiller.com Electrical Power, Safety and Arc Flash Training • Associate Director: Electrical Safety UK Ltd. - Rotherham, England • Contributing Editor: Electrical Contractor Magazine • Author: Complete Guide to Performing an Arc Flash Hazard Study • B.S. Electrical Engineering • Registered Professional Engineer • Four Decades of Industrial and Utility Experience • Vice Chair: IEEE 1584 - IEEE Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations • TC Member: NFPA 70E - Electrical Safety in the Workplace • International Chair: IEC TC 78 Live Working Standards • Steering Committee – IEEE/NFPA Arc Flash Collaborative Research Project. E-mail: jphillips@brainfiller.com

  • format_list_numbered
    CEU 1.6/PDH 16
help Get Help